Saturday, August 23, 2008

Brown's Department Store


This was originally Brown's Department Store in downtown Tuscaloosa.
It closed in the 60s or 70s and was a boarded up haven for pigeons for years. Then several years ago, it was refurbished and opened as a "brew pub" that made it's own beer. The restoration was nice, but the pub didn't last long. It's been a couple of restaurants since then, but is now empty again. I think the owners rent it out for private functions. I can't imagine why it doesn't work, being on THE main intersection downtown. Maybe they should try it as a department store again!

3 comments:

Debbie Courson Smith said...

I know of several towns with similar seemingly "hot spots" that can't maintain a business. I always wonder why, too..

Janet said...

Interesting! I remember shopping there when it was Brown's. Didn't they have a bargain basement?

D said...

I don't remember Brown's being open at all. So, I don't know if there was a basement. I know there is in a building down the street, so maybe so.