Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Happy Veterans Day


On Veterans Day I'm so grateful for this country and every single person who has served it in the military. This picture is from the service for my father-in-law, who served in the Marine Corp and had the full ceremony at his funeral. Today I think of him and my own Daddy, who served in the Navy. Their generation signed up if they weren't drafted first. It was expected.
I'm also thinking of my Daddy's brother who received his draft papers on his 18th birthday. He was in 11th grade. He left high school and after basic training went straight to the front lines in World War II. When he came back with his high school buddies that made it, they were allowed to go back and finish high school. He was a true American Hero. He never talked about it. And we weren't allowed to ask. He died a couple of years ago. I wish I had told him how proud and grateful I am. That's the first thing I plan to tell him when I see him again in Heaven!

2 comments:

Tanya Breese said...

Good morning and what a beautiful tribute to Veterans and your Uncle. Your post gave me chills, just perfect! :)

Janet said...

Nice post. My daddy and daddy-in-law also served in WWII.